USU Departments Helpful Hints for Planning
Select a department team leader that can coordinate/ organize your department’s emergency response and preparedness. No one can do this alone, they will need help.
- Develop an emergency action plan. What would your department do if the campus was shutdown for a period of time? Are your employees crossed trained? Where would your employees shelter in-place if the need arises? Does your department have emergency food and water? A department emergency action plan template can be found on the USU Emergency Management website.
- Have an evacuation plan, accountability roster, and a “go bag” filled with emergency supplies.
- Faculty: Advise your students where to meet outside of building in case of evacuation. You will need to account for your students if the building is evacuated.
- If the fire alarm is activated, EVACUATE! Even if it is a false alarm, take the time to practice your evacuation plan and account for your employees.
Listed below are some suggestions for your department emergency supplies:
- First Aid Supplies (bandages, gauze rolls, and gauze pads)
- Bottled Water
- Food (non-perishable)
- Battery Operated Radio
Important Dos and Don'ts
- Do keep a copy of this information with you at all times.
- Do get to know the building/department evacuation and emergency action plan. Coordinate with other departments in your building.
- Do make sure you are aware of the needs of anyone with disabilities in your areas of responsibility.
- Do ensure your personal contact information is up-to-date with your department and in Banner.
- Do understand your roles and responsibilities during an incident.
- Do make sure students/employees under your supervision are aware of emergency procedures and you discuss these at the beginning of each semester.
- Don’t re-enter a building after an evacuation until the “all clear” is given by a proper authority.
- Don’t speak to the media. All inquiries should be directed to the Director of Public Relations and Marketing at (435) 797-1351.
- Do sign up for CODE BLUE emergency alerts.
- * Log into USU Access (banner.usu.edu) and select Personal Information
- * Select View/Update CODE BLUE Emergency
- * Enter up to 5 voice/text message contact numbers (Alert Phone Numbers)
ALSO JOIN USU EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER (@USUEmergencyMgt) TO RECEIVE CODE BLUE ALERTS